HMRC has confirmed details of the interim members of the GAAR (General Anti-Abuse Rule) advisory panel reflecting a mix of heads of tax at multinationals, heads of tax at major accountancy firms, lawyers and third sector representation.
The 11 interim appointees will be in place until 31 March 2013, but HMRC would not confirm whether the current names will become permanent thereafter.
In the meantime, while the search for a permanent chair continues, Graham Aaronson QC will oversee the panel.On the recommendation of Aaronson, the commissioners for HMRC have appointed the following:
- Graham Aaronson QC (chair);
- John Barnett, partner and joint head of corporate tax, Burges Salmon;
- John Bartlett, head of group tax, BP and member of CBI tax committee;
- Emma Chamberlain, barrister, Pump Court Tax Chambers;
- Robert Clayton. group tax director, RSA Insurance Group;
- Bill Dodwell, head of tax policy, Deloitte LLP;
- Steve Edge, corporate tax partner, Slaughter and May;
- Francesca Lagerberg, head of tax, Grant Thornton;
- Dr David McNair, principal economic justice adviser, Christian Aid;
- Richard Murphy, head, Tax Research UK;
- Gary Richards, senior corporate tax partner at Berwin Leighton Paisner; and
- Tim Voak, group tax director, Tesco and member of the CBI tax committee.